Wednesday, September 2, 2009

August Fave Five # 2

My second favorite of August has to be the wonderful trip to Vancouver to watch the live musical of "Annie" at the Theatre Under The Stars. Theatre Under the Stars is an outdoor venue that performs in Malkin Bowl in the heart of Stanley Park. Every summer they alternate two different performances on alternating nights. I highly recommend everyone to try to make it out to one show next summer. (Sorry, you missed out for this summer).

It was the perfect night and I had the perfect company for such a fabulous night out. Arenda and I first enjoyed a great Salmon dinner at Montana's and then headed out of the Lower Mainland and travelled to the far side of Vancouver, to Stanley Park.

I don't think I've ever made it to an event with so much time to spare. It was wonderful. We were able to admire the fabulous gardens in Stanley Park. You know the saying, "Smell the roses." Well, smell we did and with great pleasure. I think I'm going to have to make a habit of being early. It was a great change of pace.

The story, "Annie" took place in 1932 at the height of the Great Depression. It tells the outrageously funny story of a spunky redheaded orphan who escaped an orphanage searching for her parents but is sadly caught and returned. Her luck changes, as Billionaire Oliver Warbucks invited Annie to his house for Christmas and the two hit it off and Annie wins his heart. Of course there is the happy ending with Daddy Warbucks adopting adorable Annie and her dog Sandy.

One of my favorite parts of the musical is hearing the song "Tomorrow." It reminds me of how great it is to face situations of life with optimism. The following are the lyrics of the song.
The sun'll come out Tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar
That tomorrow There'll be sun!
Just thinkin' about Tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs,
And the sorrow 'Til there's none
When I'm stuck a day That's gray,
And lonely, I just stick out my chin
And Grin, And Say, Oh!
The sun'll come outTomorrow
So ya gotta hang on 'Til tomorrow

Come what may Tomorrow!
Tomorrow!I love ya Tomorrow!
You're always A day A way!


Some pictures of the great garden displays in Stanley Park. I can only dream of one day having some beautiful displays like this in my own backyard.











No comments: