Sunday, May 31, 2009

Relay For Life 2009

It was that time of year this past Friday night. It was Relay For Life time. Previous to my soccer team-mates encouragement for us to put in a team this year, I had never heard of the Relay For Life. It is an event that is held Canada-wide to raise funds to end the disease of cancer. Cindy thought it would be great for our team to join and raise funds in support of our team-mate Jan who at a young age has had to battle cancer.

We were fortunate to have had amazing weather for the event. The skies were a beautiful blue and the stars eventually came out to help us keep on track. We all stocked up on sugary snacks to help keep us awake through the night. We were in for a long one. The walk started at 7:00 pm and ended at 7:00 am the next morning. Thanks to Willetta, we managed to get stocked up on Tim Hortons coffee right around 1:00 am, after already much walking.

A fellow soccer team also joined the event. There were many threats back and forth of pranks. I almost got drenched by them, but thanks to Cindy, I managed to stay dry. One of our team-mates managed to find a toy rat in her sleeping bag. Hum, I wonder how that go there?
I was so impressed by how far some teams go for this event. There were fabulous outfits, decorated tents and many dollars raised. One team, The Nightingales, raised over $20,000 dollars!

The Relay For Life is definately an event worth joining. We plan to join again next year and put an hope to add to our fundraising as well as our team. For those of you out there looking for a great excuse to stay up all night, I strongly suggest you get a team together and sign up the The Relay For Life 2010. Not only is it a good way to raise funds for fighting cancer, but it is also a great event for remembering those have battled cancer and lost.

Cayden decorated this memory candle for his Grandpa, Jim McEachern
The track was lit up by the momory candles.

Sonya, our team captain takes a break after 3 1/2 hours of walking.

My memory candles for Jane and Frank Boesterd

I didn't dress for the early morning hours so I walked the night away wrapped up in my blanket.

The kids came out to walk with us the first while.
And off to the races. Only 12 hours to go!

They managed to catch a picture of me the 15 minutes I slept all night!

Post a Comment