Thursday, October 3, 2013

Out of The Mouth of Peyton

Children are know to be so open and honest.  And, so very random.  The conversations with Peyton today were not unlike any other.  The subjects are often different, but the delivery much the same.

A typical bedtime routine in our house is teeth, brushing potty, book reading and a little prayer.  Then I like to enjoy some random conversations about the day gone by.  Being a two-year old, Peyton's conversations are always interesting and mostly very funny.

The bedtime conversation tonight drifted into her very recent visit to the hospital to see my Grandfather. These are her words: "I touched Grandpa's hair.  I told him to wake up and he opened his eyes." Her next words were, "I'm going to have cereal tomorrow".  Yes, we pretty much just finished dinner and desert and she is already thinking about her morning meal:)

Only a day later, my Grandpa passed away.  So, I asked Peyton after her 'cereal' distraction if she believed in God.   Her quick and easy response was, 'I think so'.  Sigh.  So sweet and so innocent. Yeah, I know, she's only 2 but I was curious what her response would be.

In the past  few months I have taken Peyton a few times to see my Grandpa.  She would sing and dance for him and run around the room being her usual silly and cute little self.  He treasured his short little visits from his silly little granddaughter and his face would always light up.

It is human nature to have regrets of 'what if's and I wish'  when someone passes away.  And I have a few of my own.  But... I quickly remind myself of good times and great memories of years past.  On Sunday I had my own last visit with him.  He must have sensed what was coming because he clearly told me he loved me and wanted to hold my hand in his for a long time.

I shared some great memories of my childhood times spent with him and my grandma. We talked about my love to go fishing with him.  How proud I was to visit him at the Base he was stationed in where he would look so impressive wearing his uniform.  The late night horror movies that we could only watch when staying at their house and the scruffy face chin rubs.

I am grateful for my last few hours with Grandpa and all the memories I will cherish forever.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your loss Michelle.